Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/keeblerx/addergoole.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/keeblerx/addergoole.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/keeblerx/addergoole.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Addergoole Forum - View topic - Dead Tree Books

Dead Tree Books 
Beta Reader

Post Re: Dead Tree Books
I am not on GoodReads due to not having enough time for every social networking thing out there. And if I were going to actually catalog my books, I would use software on my own computer, not online. There are a number of inexpensive programs, at least for Macs, that can connect to Amazon.copm and get stuff like title, author, cover art, and price (and if you have a portable scanner or really good webcam, you can scan in the barccodes insread of typing ISBNs). Having a monetary value, however inaccurate, for my collection, is a lot more useful (I'm thinking insurance purposes).

And I have a ton of Anne McCaffrey because I started buying her books in the mid-90's, when they were not all out of print, and have collected a number of rarer books. The day I got a copy of People of Pern for only $50 was a very, very good day. If anything, I am somewhat behind on her newest books, as I stick mostly to Pern, and stopped buying a lot of her other series when she started co-writing with so many authors it made my head spin. I have a fondness for the Rowan series, though they got less good as it went on.

Neverwhere is a particular favorite, because I have visited London. In fact, the first tiem I visited London there were reviews of the Neverwhere TV series, which I thought sounded cool, but soon forgot about back in America (this would be in the late 90's when there was less Internet and no real exchange of current TV shows). When I read the book years later and then did some looking online and learned that there was a TV show, I remembered that review and the description of the scene on the Tube cars. I also enjoy American Gods, and like the sequel Anansi Boys even more.

Patricia Briggs is another favorite I started reading in the late 90's, and she's really quite good. She started wth high fantasy, and has currently hit bestseller status (and recently had a book released in hardcover for the first time) due to starting an urban fantasy series. Add vampires of werewolves to anything right now and it will be popular, including crap, but her work isn't crap. I'm especially fond of Raven's Shadow and Raven's Strike, a duology (she tends to write two book series the way Tamora Pierce writes quartets) about an entire family questing to save the world. The youngest is about eight, and the parents are very realistic as parents. It's somethign you rarely run into in the scifi/fantasy genre, and very well done.

Last edited by Eseme on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:49 am
The Author

Ooh, something to read@

If I still have it, I have many of the Pern books. But I'll have to go looking. What stuff were you looking for?

Damn, ADD tonight. I've clicked every window twice, and I keep forgetting I'm looking for the fanfic... thrice

"Lumos."
"Shit!" The wand shattered into a thousand splintery pieces and Muriel sagged despondently. Nothing she tried had any better results - water-logged explosions of fizzled magic, every time. Her mother had said this would happen; stubbornly, Muriel kept on trying. Now, however, splinter-stabbed, she finally acquiesced:
Mermaids can't be wizards.

~Lyn, at pains to point out that was written in 2004. Look, here, have a better microfic:

There are days (like today) when everything I write is tainted with old hurts and remembered desires, when every phrase brings to mind the faces of those who are my past now.
“Everything is tainted with your scent.” and I see myself curled around an old flannel shirt for the fragrance it still held. "Your back turned cold to me,” and I see that long-ago pair of blue eyes pitying me. There is nothing that comes to hand on days like this that doesn't have that echo in it of stale love, and writing becomes just an exercise in self-pity.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:56 am
Elder Ellehemaei

oooh that last one is pretty.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:45 am
Profile WWW
The Author

Thank you! I had a lot of fun writing 50-word fic for a year or two back there. Good for short attention spans ;-)

~Lyn, waking up slowly.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:42 pm
Elder Ellehemaei

I can't seem to write short things if I tried.

I wanted to write some short stories, see if I could submit them to competitions, but I just get so attached to characters I can't keep it short. :S

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
The Author

I have a hard time writing long things; Addergoole is probably the longest I've ever written.

:-)

Lyn, with a short attention span.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:33 pm
Elder Ellehemaei

I guess I don't know when to shut up. ^_^

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
The Author

amharte wrote:
I guess I don't know when to shut up. ^_^