Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/keeblerx/addergoole.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/keeblerx/addergoole.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/keeblerx/addergoole.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/keeblerx/addergoole.com/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Addergoole Forum - View topic - Honour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Honour 
Teacher

Post Honour
Ellehemaei definition of honor doesn't seem to be mine. Anyway, honor seems to be a word that's mostly mentioned to justify something very twisted. In human society as well.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:40 am
Teacher

Post Re: Chapters of Wild Ones' Blood
"Ellehemaei definition of honor doesn't seem to be mine. Anyway, honor seems to be a word that's mostly mentioned to justify something very twisted. In human society as well."

perhaps it is not honor that justifys twisted actions. so much as modern society that has become twisted.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:34 pm
The Author

guesty wrote:
Ellehemaei definition of honor doesn't seem to be mine. Anyway, honor seems to be a word that's mostly mentioned to justify something very twisted. In human society as well.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on all of those points. I have often angered many of my male friends with that mindset :-)

~Lyn

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:49 pm
Minor Deity

Most modern people don't truly understand honor (including Lyn, with whom I've had long discussions on the topic, and probably Moriden based on the discussions we've had on other topics).

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:05 pm
The Author

Elasmo wrote:
Most modern people don't truly understand honor (including Lyn, with whom I've had long discussions on the topic, and probably Moriden based on the discussions we've had on other topics).

I understand it a lot better now than I did before we started talking about it - since every other male person who'd decided to explain it before that was full of shit.

(aren't you glad you're special?)

~Lyn

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Minor Deity

I am! <3

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:29 pm
School Staff

Hmmm...

This makes me curious as to what you all think honour is. Because I thought it was keeping your wrd and otherwise acting with integrity. ;-P

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Teacher

"Hmmm...

This makes me curious as to what you all think honour is. Because I thought it was keeping your wrd and otherwise acting with integrity. ;-P"

but then how dose one define integrity?

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:51 pm
School Staff

Integrity is consistency and honesty. It's the total opposite of hypocrisy and trickery, and it's the virtue that reminds us to act in accordance with our moral code.

But like all the virtues it's not a virtue in excess. If you don't know what I mean consider this Courage is a virtue. An excess of courage is foolhardiness. Foolhardiness is a vice. Integrity in excess becomes stubborn self-righteousness, and we all know where that can lead.

Yes, I've thought about this a lot. It's a fairly important concept later on in my own web serial. (It being the concept of virtue and vice in general not just integrity or honour).

Becky

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Deity

Honor, unlike most virtues, does not become a vice in excess (although it does become somewhat silly for modern life). Self-righteous people often mistake their self-righteousness for honor, but they are not really the same thing; a person can be honorable even to an extreme without being self-righteous, and can certainly be self-righteous without being honorable.
That being said, you're totally right about honor requiring consistency and integrity, although it's more than that. It also embodies a sense of fairness, justice, and decency. Honor is more than a virtue, it's an entire mindset and outlook. A completely honorable person reflects it in their every interaction.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:12 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next