December Drabble: So You Knew

December 26, 2013 by Lyn

This is in response to Kuro_Neko’s request in my December Drabbles offer here for more of Ceinwen’s conversation with her parents.

The drabbles were offered at 50-500 words; I can definitely go further with this if someone wants to commission more.

After Did You Know, beginning of Summer Break between Years 9 & 10

Silence hung over the dinner table.

”Yes, we knew.” Her father had said it. He’d admitted to it. What did you say to that, to your parents knowing they’d sent you to a… a slave camp?

Her mother cleared her throat. “Colden.”

“I think she deserves as much of the story as we can tell her, Gina. And she’s asking the questions – which was always the qualifier, wasn’t it?”

Ceinwen watched them. She’d “seen” this argument several times already, while she lay in her bedroom pretending to sleep. They would come to a conclusion eventually.

“It’s not…”

“It’s not comfortable, no. But we knew it wasn’t going to be, once we talked to Marianne about Aelgifu, didn’t we? We knew it was going to be tricky, and we knew it was going to be hard. We knew that when we signed the agreement, all those years ago. Two children in four years…”

“I know, Colden. But.” Ceinwen’s mother put her hands over her face. “I can’t very well argue you’re too young, can I, Cinnabon? With the questions you’re asking…?”

“No, Mom.” Ceinwen tried to sound gentle. “I mean – I might be too young, but I already know… I know things can be bad, and I know they can be messy. And I’m pretty clear on where babies come from.”

Her mother made a little choked noise that was almost a laugh, and turned to Ceinwen’s father. “I guess…”

“I can handle it.” Colden patted Gina’s shoulder gently. “Your cousin Aelgifu went to Addergoole, you knew that.”

“I knew.” Let them tell this their own way.

“And we’re not as Faded, your mother and I – or your Aunt Marianne – as some of the parents in Regine’s little program. So we knew what fae life was like.” He coughed, and it seemed to Ceinwen that he was only managing eye contact by force of will. “But until Aelgifu came back from Addergoole, we didn’t know how much of the Law they were replicating in the school. We didn’t know about the faux-Keepings and we didn’t know about the faux-Promises, not until then. And by then it was too late.”

“But you knew about the babies.” Her voice sounded flat. That was all right; she felt flat.

“Yes. We knew about the babies.”

Addergoole: Year Nine updates every Wednesday evening EST. Want more?

Words

[flattr]

1. Rix Scaedu says:

I can see that the babies on their own might not have been such a problem, if you assumed there would be consent in the act of their begetting. I wonder what inducement from Regine tipped her parents into saying, “Yes.”

My heart was really racing reading this. It was really intense. As much as reading the early chapters of each year when the students get Kept, with the bonus of the emotional catharsis that those early chapters setup. It’s some of exactly what I’ve been looking for throughout this story. Thank you for writing it.

Would it be possible to commission the rest of the conversation? If there is more conversation that is. In fact I’d be willing to commission quite a few confrontations between students and parents along these lines if you’re willing to write them. Ahouva or Akaterina perhaps? Or Kai? Or Lee? I could probably come up with quite the list if you’re willing.

I’d be willing to do more of this conversation – and more of other conversations – with the caveat that some students will not confront their parents (Kat, Lee – shyness and emotional disturbance on one, denial on the other) and others might not see it as badly as Ceinwen did (Ahouva blames Kendon for being an abusive asshole, not the school for the set-up).

Also, I’m glad you liked this story ;-D

I did indeed enjoy it very much.

I understand that for various reasons some students won’t confront their parents. In some cases they don’t blame them (instead blaming the school/staff, or their individual Keepers, or simply themselves), or aren’t the confronting type, or as you said with Kat and Lee psychological issues prevent it, or in a few cases the students blame the parents so much they simply never go home again. Rather then me come up with a list I think I could just leave the selection up to you. The above shows you know generally what I’m after. I’d prefer characters that have had more screen time to less, but I’ll take what I can get. Perhaps short drabbles like this and I can buy more if it’s something I’d like to see more of.

Could you refresh my memory on how about I go paying you? Paypal wasn’t it? And certain amounts equal certain word counts right?

Yep! Scroll up to the “Story Futures” at the end of the story, which has the rates and is the link to Paypal.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I’ve bought two blocks of 1500 words. Use as much of it as you need to finish the conversation between Ceinwen and her parents then you can use the rest for my drabbles on students of your choice confronting their parents in the same vein as Ceinwen. As I noted in the special notes of the payment, you can divvy up the words however you want. Teasers along the lines of Hiatus Fic 8: Did you Know? are fine and something alittle longer if your muse really grabs you is fine too. Cheers.