Snippet 1: Jamian and Cay

October 2, 2012 by Lyn

Thirty-four years after Year 5 of the Addergoole School

September, 2033

Addergoole East, Pennsylvania

“It’ll be fine, Dom.  It’s a good school, and I know Kai – Dean Storm. She’s a good Administrator.”

“I know, Dadimom.  It’s just… she’s my baby.”

Dadimom had been Dominique’s nickname for Jamian since Dom had first learned to talk; its twin, Carey, liked to call Jamian Mom One, and Tya, when it showed up, Mom Two point oh.  In turn, Dom’s oldest had settled on the nickname Parenthood.  Then again, Dom’s kids didn’t have two hermaphrodites for parents.

Jamian hugged his child tightly.  “I know.  I’ve done this rodeo a few times myself, honey.”

“Nobody does rodeos anymore.”

“But old folks still talk about them.  Look, there’s a good ice cream shop down in town that still knows how do to it right.  Let’s go have some, and I can tell you how well your daughter is going to do, and how Addergoole East isn’t set up like Addergoole West.”

“But what if she doesn’t learn enough here?  West was… sometimes it was hell, but we learned, we really learned how to survive.”

“Don’t worry, kiddo.”  It didn’t see like it had been that long since he’d be chewing over similar worries with Dom and Carey, but the calendar told him it had been seventeen years.  Had he lost a few?  Before Martina, there had been a few long, dark years.  “She’ll do fine.  She’ll do her mum and grandfather proud.”

That got a little smirk out of her, at least; he must be doing something right.  “Thanks for coming with me.  I know she’ll be fine, it’s just…”

“It’s just, it’s one thing to know it, it’s another thing to act on it.”  The voice from the next table finished Dominique’s sentence so cleanly, they both looked up to see if they were being made fun of.

The people at the next table seemed oblivious to their attention, though.

“I’d say it gets easier, but it doesn’t.  Relax, Beebee, it’ll be fine.”  Jamian knew that voice, although it had both roughened and mellowed through the decades.  The owner of the voice had allowed herself to look a bit older, too, and she was showing off three scars, one of which had nearly destroyed her eye.  “Are you heading back out, then?”

“Yeah.  Willow’s got a target for us, something she’s been working on with her in-laws.  You could come with us, Mom.”

Jamian knew the look on the mother’s face; he’d seen it on his own face.  “Nah, kiddo, you know that doesn’t work out that well.  You and your sister get along fine without me.”

Jamian echoed the woman’s question to his own child.  “Heading out again?  Back to the enclave?”

“I think so.  You know, Dadimom…”

“You have a position, honey.  I’ll always be nearby to help, but I’d just be underfoot, there.”

The other woman looked up, caught his eye, hearing her own thoughts echoed so nearby.  Jamian shamelessly tasted her emotions, and found nothing but amused startlement .

“Jamian, was it?”  Her voice brought their children’s attention to them, but that was all right.  With the Thorne Girls, amusement could turn to violence pretty quickly.

“Acacia, right?”

“It’s Cay these days, usually.  Good to see you still kicking.”

It looked like it wasn’t going to turn too violent.  Jamian allowed a smile to sneak out.  “Likewise.  Been a long time.”  He tilted his head.  “My child, Dominique.  Grandaughter’s going to Addergoole East.”

“So’s mine.”  She smiled, one of those expressions that was more tooth than humor.  “The Girl Scout has always impressed me.”

“Yeah, she’s always been pretty impressive.”  Jamian looked between their children, and then back at Acacia.  “Hey, what d’you say, after our kids hare off, us retiree grandmoms get together and shoot the shit?”

He watched the smile go from teeth to actual pleasure, the emotions washing surprise/happiness/surprise over the warrior woman.  “You know, I’d like that.  You’ve got a date.”

This outtake was written in response to giom’s donation and request for “how Cay and Jamian came to be living together.”

For every $5US donated, I will write 300 words on the character or situation of your choice. In addition, every donation will bring you to a small snippet of story – a new snippet every Wednesday!

Want more?

More information

1. Rix says:

So how many of their kids think of the farm near the Finger Lakes as some sort of parental retirement home?

2. Arkeus says:

I…didn’t even get that Jamian was living with Acacia in the future.

A lot of people didn’t, because it’s just passing references to Cay for the most part.

• Arkeus says:

Yeah, and ‘Cay’ doesn’t mean ‘Acacia’ to me either…

• Gudy says:

Oh, OK. I was wondering there for a moment what other major stuff I was missing about post-apoc Addergoole. 🙂

Typo: “It didn’t see like it had been that long” see -> seem

Well, let’s see. Emrys and Conrad both appear to be dead.

Kailani is Keeping Rozen (the author’s OTP); Shahin is Keeping Ty (I don’t think that’s anyone’s OTP), and Jamian is Keeping Melchior. Jame’ has a daughter of just-adult age, Dagny, who is off-screen in this story as an infant-or-fetus, and Jamian and Cay also live with Yngvi, Uncle Vi.

😀

Re. Kai and Conrad – here – http://aldersprig.dreamwidth.org/398701.html and here http://aldersprig.dreamwidth.org/399195.html

The rest of that was in TOS

• Arkeus says:

I am not really suprised Kai and Rozen is your OTP, somehow, given how Conrad kind of…disappeared… through your story.

A bit weirded out by it being Rozen, though.

• Gudy says:

OK, so I knew about Emrys. I didn’t know about Conrad – I knew something bad involving him had happened, but not what, or that he was dead. I knew about the Keepings and I knew that Yngvi was with Jamian and its folks. So it seems that apart from Conrad’s death the Jamian/Acacia pairing is the only thing I’ve missed of all those that you mention. 🙂

• Karen Tozzi says:

I just reread what i thought was TOS, but maybe was just year 5… where would one find these post 5 stories?

3. Lyn says:

@arkeus – you know, I’m not sure I even noticed Conrad disappearing. Ah, co-writing has its issues.

I do have a bit of a bad-boy thing going on, don’t I?

When you guys started RPing scenes, you enjoyed playing Shahin/Emrys, but couldn’t get Kai/Conrad scenes to not end in arguments, I think? So Kai/Conrad scenes stopped… happening. Also, you didn’t enjoy the vanilla.

Certainly the RP’ing scenes was part of the problem. *nods*

E. and I had some creative differences about Conrad’s characterization, too.

I know you went back and edited the first three chapters of Addergoole – do you think you’ll go back and revisit Addergoole 1.0 at some point, do something else with it, is it ‘maybe if I finish my other novels first,’ or is it a completed exercise?

I’m pretty torn on it. On one hand, I’d really like to go back and make the stories closer to how I saw them, tighten up the writing, get rid of inconsistencies.

On the other hand, it’s a chapter I’d be just as comfortable closing.

• Arkeus says:

Huh, Addergoole was co-written? not this one, however?

I wasn’t certain you had a bad-boy thing, though it was quite obvious that Kai did have one. Somehow, too Taro ended up being nicer than Conrad…

It was also quite telling how Jamian began with Ty being worse than anyone else on screen by far, but by the end there was some sort of Ty semi-redemption thing going on (redemption of horribad people are usually a telling sign of bad-boy obsessions) though i was quite pleased that it didn’t stick completely.

Hunh. I never thought about the bad-boy redemption thing being like that. I got over the obsession IRL – happily married – but obviously not in fiction. ;-D

(See: Thorburn, Amadeus, etc.)

Portions of Addergoole TOS were co-written with Elasmo – approximately books 4 through 12.

4. Lyn says:

@Gudy – while I’ve known Conrad dies in the war for… probably since I started writing, I’m not sure I ever stated it explicitly. Something things I Just Knew (Most of cy’Luca dies in the war) so much that I forgot they weren’t written.

5. Wis says:

A nice throwback (throwforward?).
    Conrad… I didn’t think he died. From Kailani’s epilogue, I thought he just left- like the troubles they’d been having just grew, until he left. Him dying makes sense, though. I’m not sure which is more heartbreaking.

Conrad was my favorite guy, closely followed by Emrys. For totally different reasons, of course. I can imagine the two arguing, calling out scenes, until Conrad hollers “Electric shock collar!” and Emrys just stands there. That was really cute, in a “poor puppy’s been kicked” kinda way. Yes, I know he’s not a puppy. ^.^ Conrad and Kai are the cutest in my opinion, and have you noticed my fondness for cute?

Yeah, there’s a piece on DW about Conrad going off to war. Almost all of the cy’Lucas died in the war.

Conrad was one of my favorites, too. And he really does give off puppy.

I like cute, too!